Saturday 5 April 2014

Seeds, Onions and Allotment Pride

This week has seen me getting some homeless strawberry plants housed in bright green pots at home on the wall at the back of my kitchen and some seeds started :

Beetroot Cylindra - in a deep meat tray, no holes
Coriander - in the "jug" from SDL
Cucumber -  2/3 in white pot
Butternut Squash(packet) - 2 x 3 in pot
Butternut Squash(saved seed) - 3 in a pot with shop label
Courgette  All Green Bush, safari, and two others, 2 in each pot
A tray of mixed leaves

Then at the allotment on Saturday I planted 73 baby onions Sturon in 6 rows.  By the end my knees and back were complaining but I was pleased.  Today as I watch it rain I hope they don't get washed away, the soil was quite fluffy.

R has done a fantastic job of digging and preparing the soil and what with the manure, the soil looks brilliant.  We have recovered more allotment than ever and got our composting organised into three width length mounds, two covered in black plastic and one in use.  The strawberries my mum gave me are looking healthy and weed free next to my new row of raspberries (not so weed free). The homeless strawberries mentioned earlier came from the original strawberry plot which I think is beyond rescue so I plan to bring some plants home to have on the wall.

Last year I planted the Jerusalem artichokes in the space to the left of the shed and I scattered a few Echinops seeds there yesterday. They are biennial so I will need to transplant the little plants in the autumn.  To be able to recognise the plants I put 4 seeds in T's Christmas tree pot outside the back door.  I planted the tree seed and it has now been growing for at least two years. My memory is hopeless.

Excuse the change in font but I am having problems with different apps.

No comments:

Post a Comment