Monday 15 April 2013

Hubby comes through

We are feeling ahead of the curve, or at least not behind it as is more usual. R has been the driving force and we have now planted two different onion sets, one red one yellow.  There must have been over 150 onions in each bag.  My back is a little on the complaining side. R planted some but I planted most of them. R thinks I plant them too close together but I try to work out a regular number for not too many rows.

As an experiment the two rows of yellow onions at the bottom of the allotment are planted according to each persons technique although I covered both rows. When I cover them it is just a sprinkling to help protect them from the birds.  Not sure it really works but I've never not done it. It's supposed to be sand but I have soil to hand!

Top Row : R slightly pushed in and about 8" apart
Bottom Row : G gently placed and closer maybe 4" apart

I must thank R as he has been brilliant. Digging when I felt too lazy, making time to go up there when it is fine, encouraging me to get going.  We have agreed this is a make or break year.  If we are not feeling successful at the end of the year we will give it up.  Apart from anything else with just M at home the homegrown vegetables don't get eaten.

No comments:

Post a Comment